Wednesday, March 05, 2003

What Really Matters


In the same phone call with my vendor friend mentioned below, we reflected on some heart-rending people issues.

Just before he called, I received a phone call from the wife of a valued colleague here who has been off work since late August due to a heart attack and subsequent open heart surgery. Dave was due to come back to work half-time next Monday. We have missed him and needed him. His wife called to tell me he just had another cardiac "episode" that set him back tremendously. We have no idea when he will return. I ache for Dave and Tammy and their family.

My pal empathised. One of their associates recently suffered the tragic death of a 13 year-old son. The grief was devastating.

Business is fascinating. Systems intrigue me. But their importance fades as one is confronted with such challenges. People are truly most important. A genuinely excellent business acts with compassion, mercy and understanding in the face of these agonizing human problems. A genuinely excellent system has room for people and a heart for their well being.

And that's what most of us want to be about.

I hope this is helpful.

Feel free to forward to a friend. Email me

No comments: