Saturday, September 14, 2002

Dwight's Visit

An old friend of our company stopped by yesterday. In a discussion about how to drive change, he mentioned his view of the four steps to a culture change:

--Awareness
--Awkwardness
--Skill
--Habit

This sequence resonated with me. Before I can expect someone in our company to adopt a new method, I have to make him/her aware of it. Clarity must be key.

Then I need to encourage and coach through the stage of awkwardness. I need to celebrate getting it "almost right".

Skill can be demonstrated. It will follow an encouraged awkwardness.

Habit happens when skill takes over in the subconcious. At that point, it is subconcous and the mind takes over to become aware of a new practice.

How quickly I expect people to jump from "awareness" to "habit"!!



No comments: