Sunday, October 16, 2011

Moneyball, the movie

This afternoon, I saw the movie Moneyball.  I have seldom been so moved by a film.  

And I mention it here because this true story is the best metaphor I've ever seen of the need for a clear-cut philosophy of organizational success which is reducible to practice.    

Period.

The need for clarity of objective.  The need to describe it.  The need to get buy-in.  The inevitable resistance.  How, in a change setting, the situation often (always?) worsens before improving.  The need for valued assistants. How to make decisions consistently and confidently.  How the human and the structural interact.  The self-doubt.  Partial vs total success.  

This film captures the life of an organization at multiple levels.  I strongly recommend it to you.  

One note, especially for my readers outside the United States.  The film is entirely built around the game of American Baseball.  A knowledge of baseball improves comprehension; a working knowledge of baseball statistics and baseball history helps more.  Yet, even without this, many of the lessons will flow for you. 

I was familiar with the book from which this movie was made.  Yet the film captures organizational change in a way no book ever could. 

And it is an excellent way to keep on learning.


.

No comments: