Thursday, October 11, 2012

Go Look at the Ears



"You know, farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."
Dwight Eisenhower, Address at Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois, 9/25/56

Ike had it right.  Need we say more about getting out of the office and to the place where we add value?  About showing respect for the folks doing the work by spending time in their worlds?  About feeling the rocks in the soil and the insects crawling and the joy of a good harvest and the sweat by which it comes about?

No wonder the Allied Armies were willing to follow and fight for General Eisenhower. 


My thanks to Jamie Flinchbaugh for pointing me to the Eisenhower quote. 


Click here to subscribe to Learning about Lean by email.

3 comments:

Chet Frame said...

I am currently working on a project in Western Wisconsin and I have watched since early July the growth, ripening, and now the harvest of the corn crop. The work that these people do is amazing. I grew up working on farms and orchards, but i had forgotten the incredible level of industry required to feed us. Great post!

be lean said...

Nice blog with nice point.

Robert Hill said...

The earlobe will shrink but never look normal again without surgery. I would wait until it finnishes shrinking on its own before cutting out and closing the hole. You cannot wear the gauges for the entire time that it is shrinking. This site helps me in my essay writing process.