Friday, February 21, 2003

Marjorie C. Ely


Two years ago this morning, my Mom died. After 82 active years of others-centered living, she passed away quietly amid family.

I smile as I remember her, realizing how blessed I was through her and my father, who died in 1993. Among their many influences, they built in their four kids a hunger to learn and inquire. Mom evidenced this most dramatically by finishing her undergraduate college education at age 74. She had put all of us through college and then decided it was her turn! Having started college in 1933, only to have the dream end after one year in the tough financial climate of the Depression, she did the last three years while in her 70s. How many people get to attend their mother's college graduation ceremony?? We did. And what a great day it was.

Thanks, Mom, for all you did.


No comments: