Good and Bad practices in Daily Start Up meetings
I've seen quite a few daily start up meetings...here's what I've observed.
- Smile and make eye contact. Particularly difficult for technical people, but remember, lean is about valuing people...hard to make them believe that when you are talking to your shoes.
- Keep it moving and be crisp.
- Use the Visual Display to guide the meeting each morning. These metrics can focus the discussion on results which the group can affect.
- Make assessments and propose action. Example: "Our on-time delivery has slipped in the past week. I propose Bob and I work tomorrow afternoon to figure it out."
- Seek coaching much as an athlete asks someone else with experience to observe and suggest how performance can improve. Find someone who can help your meetings get better and better.
- Build a mood of expectation, one that says "We can address problems and steadily improve." This is the opposite of a mood of resignation and being a victim.